Black tie events can be daunting, they are much more formal then the types of events we attend in our daily lives.
Finding the right gown is the first step to getting your formal look together.
Once you’ve decided on your attire, its now time to find the right accessories to accent such an occasion.
Here are our Top 5 Tips to help you choose the perfect earrings for a Black Tie event.
1. Let your attire dictate your earrings.
- If you are wearing a strapless gown, drop earrings or chandeliers are the perfect addition to your look. They will fill in the empty space around your neck and chest and draw attention to your face.
- If your gown has sleeves or one-shoulder, consider the length of the earrings. If the earrings are too long, they will compete with the details of your gown and shorten your neck.
- Pants suits have been a major trend for formal events – including the Emmys. If you are going to go bold with this type of look choose statement cluster earrings.
2. Let your earrings compliment your hair style.
- If you are wearing a sleek ponytail or smooth bun, try cluster earrings. Larger then a stud, cluster earrings will add the right amount of sparkle and highlight the face.
- For longer lengths – a pair of drop earrings or chandelier earrings will dangle perfectly within your flowing tresses.
3. Coordinate your earrings with any other jewelry you are wearing.
- If you already have a necklace or bracelet in mind, make sure your earrings compliment but do not compete with these other jewelry pieces.
- If you are wearing a gold necklace, try to tie in gold metal tones with the earrings as well.
- Look for similar stone shapes incorporated into each of the pieces, like rounds or marquise, to bring the look together.
4. Add a pop of color.
- A colorful earring can really elevate a classic look and give it a bit of personality.
- If you plan on wearing an all black gown to your formal affair, a multi-colored pair of earrings in vibrant tones of fuchsia or blue can really make your look stand out.
5. Most important – Balance out your bling.
- A black tie event or gala is the occasion to pull out all the bells and whistles, but don’t over bling it. Don’t wear every piece of sparkly jewelry that you have.
- If you are dying to wear your new statement necklace – go with a classic pair of stud earrings.
- But, if you want to wear a pair of over-the-top statement earrings, then skip the necklace all together and let your earrings shine.
For more on jewelry tips on black tie worth jewelry check out the Jewelry Trends from the 2015 Emmys